You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘meme’ category.
1. My most prized possession is my mattress. All the mattresses in my earlier life had been too soft to the point that I used to sleep on the floor at least a couple of time a month. It was one of my first purchases after buying my house. I walked into the store and said, ” I need something firm. “ The salseman led me to this model, I lay down and fell in love. I can stay in my bed all day long.
2. If I could be one age for the rest of my life, I would want to be 28 and sure of myself in a way I never have been before. I turn 28 next month. I don’t ever want to go back.
3. The best way to spend a weekend is slowly. Preferably with family and friends.
4. My outlook on life is first things first. Everything else will fall into place if your priorities are in check.
5. If you want to annoy me, just start snapping your gum. Nothing else will bring me to a blind rage faster.
6. I am completely defenseless when it comes to puppies.
7. When dressing for the day, one should maintain comfort and function before considering style. Not to say that style has to be far behind. Just be sure that stylish item meets your real needs first – not the approval of your imaginary audience.
*** the little things we do ***
We’re in the process of starting a journal club hospital-wide.
Something I tried to do on a smaller scale on our unit. And failed.
I’m de-cluttering my life this week. I’m working through Week One (of 6) in I Will Teach You To Be Rich.
I forgot today was garbage pick-up. I have a full can. I used to have two, but I cut down just last week.
I’m enjoying this week off along with my mom and sister – who work for school districts.
I’m watching “Morning Glory” with my sister tonight.
And eating burned pizza.
1. The phrase or punctuation I overuse most is …, -, and ( ) … I just can’t help myself. I love to add a little extra information. I love to explain – even to the death. (I love me some details.)
2. Today I am thankful for a week off from work.
3. My best local friend is a co-worker. She and I are complete opposites. We fight like sisters. I miss her when she’s not working. I love spending time with her, her boyfriend, and her family. I hate that she might move away in the near-ish future. That makes me not want to get closer.
4. A quirky thing about me is my very French CD that I keep in my car. The singer is Carla Bruni – supermodel and wife of France’s president. It absolutely calming to me after a long day at work even though (or perhaps because) I don’t have any idea what the songs mean. I found it a couple of years ago by listening to music samples of international CDs at an Austin store.
5. This weekend I am relaxing and recharging.
6. Something that worries me is worrying about money. I just received my order of Ramit Sethi’s I Will Teach You to Be Rich – recommended by Stratejoy. No crazy schemes. Just a six-week-plan to get your finances in order.
7. On my nightstand you would find a crackled glass lamp, a ceramic coaster, my latest read, light alarm clock, cell phone, and lip balm.
***the little things we do***
1. Any vacations you are looking forward to this summer? I’ll be seeing my college buddies this May. Location yet to be chosen.
2. What is your favorite article of summer clothing (shoes included)? Cute shorts
3. What is your favorite summer drink (alcoholic or non)? Sonic’s cherry limeade, sangria, sweet tea
4. Do you tan or burn? Tan. Unevenly.
5. Any goals you are working toward this summer? Improving my curbside appeal. That didn’t sound right. Improving my home’s curbside appeal.
6. What is your favorite summertime food? Ice cold watermelon on a hot day
7. What song most says “summer” to you? Any cheesy song that is fun to sing in the car with the windows rolled down.
8. Any home improvement goals planned this summer? Lots of little things around the house. And I want to finish my office.
9. What is one thing you hate to see at the beach? People speeding around in four-wheelers. I hate those things. They’re noisy and blow sand everywhere.
10. Did you ever go to a summer camp? I went to summer church camps when I was a kid. I always wished I could have gone to those cool summer camps with nothing but outdoorsy activities.
*** Meme from Roots and Rings
1. What is your favorite childhood memory? Picnics in our yard with my brothers and sister during the summer – though now I realize my parents just wanted some peace.
2. What is your favorite quality about yourself? I’m a good friend and problem-solver.
3. What is your favorite thing that your child does? I’m going to make a stretch here and say that I love the way my dogs “talk” to me. It’s not a bark, a growl, or a howl. They have this strange vocalization that usually means they need to go outside or need some more water in their bowl. A kind of low “Ow-wow-wow-wow.”
4. What is your favorite thing to do to relax? Read a book or skim through my favorite blogs.
5. What is your favorite restaurant? And what is your favorite thing on the menu? I love this local sushi bar. I always get a side of onion soup with whatever sushi roll of choice. Seriously the best onion soup ever.
6. What is your favorite piece of jewelry
(besides your wedding ring)? My brother gave me some little silver bird earrings this past Chrismas that I have worn almost every day since.
7. What is your favorite night of the week M-TH? And why? The night before several days off. There’s a sense of freedom in knowing the next days are all mine.
8. What is your favorite dessert? Dark chocolate in any form.
9. What is your favorite item in your make-up bag? Clear mascara. I have the worst time keeping regular mascara on my lashes and off my face. Even the water-proof kind. What is the secret?
10. What is your favorite smell? Clean clothes. I’m pretty sensitive to perfumes and candles, so I don’t like any odors that are overwhelming.
*Meme from Roots and Rings
1. What’s your favorite color to paint your nails? I don’t paint my fingernails often because of work. When I do they are typically a nude pink color. I usually paint my toenails a deep purple-red.
2. Do you like to sneeze? Ummm….no? Though I’ll admit, it can be useful.
3. How often do you fill up your car with gas? Every two weeks unless I make a trip.
4. Were you named after anyone? My middle name is my grandmother and aunt’s first names (on my father’s side).
5. Have you made any good recipes lately? I made some white bean and chicken chili that was amazing.
6. What’s an easy money-saving tip that you use regularly? Buy only what I really love. Most of the stuff out there is crap. And I know what I can afford. If I can’t, I say no. Period. And I have my paychecks deposited with money going into a savings and Roth IRA account.
7. Would you rather have a sore throat or an ear ache? Sore throat. I can sleep with a sore throat.
8. Do you have any scars? What are they from? A scar on my finger from an apple-cutting incident when I was 8 or 9. A scar on my chin from a car accident in 2001.
9. What are you “known for” in your circle of friends/family? My frugality. My nerdiness. My sense of humor.
10. How do you like to eat your pancakes? I don’t eat pancakes. I have had the same, unopened box of mix for about 2 years. I really need to clean out my pantry.
*** Meme from Roots and Rings.
1. Is there a band/artist that you HATE?
Miley Cyrus – if she can be considered an artist.
2. What do you do when you get a gift that you do not like? How do you react?
I’m very particular about the things I buy for myself. I don’t like useless things that take up space. Most gifts I receive fall into that category, however well-meaning. I still always appreciate the gesture, so I can be thankful for that. I never let the people know how I really feel about the item. I make sure they know how I feel about them. And then I give the gift to someone who will like it or donate it to Goodwill.
3. How is your work office/cubicle decorated?
My work office is a large station that I share with at least 10-15 people at any given time. There is no real attempt at decor except for the occasional plants that show up.
4. Do you use all of your vacation every year?
Ha. That and any PTO time I accrue. Let’s just say that in one year I took off about two months.
5. Did you have a real or fake Christmas tree?
Real. And it’s still up sans decorations. We’ll take it down this week. (My Christmas lights are still up, too. Baby, it’s cold outside.)
6. If you could have anything for dinner tonight, what would it be?
Shrimp. I’ll have a bowl of cereal instead.
7. Do you bite your fingernails?
Occasionally. It happens when I’m spaced out reading.
8. How many cups of coffee do you drink each day?
I average zero cups of coffee a day.
9. Do you have a nervous tick?
Yes. I have a horrible habit of pulling at my lip that I developed around the time I quit biting my nails regularly.
10. How often do you vacuum?
I have no carpet in my house except for a small office. It is embarrassing how infrequently that gets vacuumed. I vacuum between the couch cushions every month or so. I sweep a lot due to my hairy dogs. I want one of those heavy-duty pet Roombas so bad. Now that would be an awesome (and pricey) gift.
***Meme from Roots and Rings
1. What type of home do you currently reside in?
2. If you could completely redecorate one room in your home, what room would you pick, why, and what would you do to it?
Definitely my bedroom since I’ve done practically nothing to it since moving into my house 2 years ago. I need a dresser, full-length mirror, pretty cage for my birds, and a closet makeover. The windows still have the cheap paper blinds that were supposed to be temporary. I really dream of having a bedside table like this, but every pot I find that I like (and is big enough for my higher bed) is over $300.
3. What is your favorite place to gain inspiration for your home decor style?
I’ll use anything: magazines, websites, friend’s homes,etc. I also like eclectic mixes. I figure that if I get a piece at a time that I really love, they’ll go together somehow.
4. What is your favorite piece of decor in your home?
My couch. It’s where I spend most of my time with other people. It is exactly what I had in mind when I was shopping: a huge, comfy, chocolate brown sectional. Big enough to seat my entire family. Deep enough for two people to lay side by side without fear of falling.
5. What do you want visitors to feel when they visit your home? Do you think your home gives off that feeling?
I want my guests to feel welcome. I want them to feel as if they belong on that sofa.
I think that I and my house make them feel welcome. And there’s practically nowhere else for them to sit…so…
6. Describe your home in one word and explain why you chose that word.
There will always be things I want when it comes to my house, but I remind myself that I already have everything I need.
7. What are some predominant colors or patterns in your house?
Most of the house is a lovely muted gold. It is exactly the color I imagined. I play with browns, creams, greens, blues, and reds – warm, muted shades.
8. What is your favorite room and why?
My den. It is the room I spend the most time in – whether I’m watching TV, hanging out with friends/family, knitting, etc.
9. Do you take a hands-on or DIY approach to projects around your home or do you enlist or hire help?
I do what I can do. I do on-line research to help me. Anything requiring professional skill I will pass on. My 20-year-old roommate and brother does a lot of the manual labor.
10. Where is your favorite place to shop for home furnishings?
I actually like Ikea. Some pieces look cheap and some look pretty good. I bought my coffee table, bookcase, and entry table there. My sofa I bought in a local furniture store. My platform bed I bought on-line. Everything else was given to me.
***meme by Roots and Rings